Master of Science in Architectural Studies (major in Sustainable Design)1. Title and Origin:
• Master of Science in Architectural Studies (major in Sustainable Design) - MSD
• University of Florida, USA
2. Program Summary:
The three-semester UF Master of Science in Architectural Studies (major in Sustainable Design) program leads to a post-graduate professional degree in the specialized field of sustainable design. Open to applicants with a bachelor’s degree in any field, it is an excellent opportunity for enhancing a student’s educational background, professional qualifications or teaching credentials through individualized, in-depth and interdisciplinary research in specific areas under the guidance of faculty specialists.
The program is what’s known in the industry as a hybrid distance education program. It is designed for participants who are working or for whatever reason, cannot pick up and leave to attend a master’s program full time. We use a variety of tools to ensure that the program is equal to or better than what you would experience if you were on campus full time.
Each course has lectures, readings assignments and online assessments which are delivered asynchronously-meaning that you can study according to your schedule and review the material as often as necessary. Additional, we have a weekly video conference to discuss the course materials with the group-essentially it’s a graduate seminar format.
We have several “fly-in” sessions to give everyone face-to-face time in concentrated workshop formats. There are two trips Gainesville and one to Singapore/the Netherlands-the airfare and food of which are in addition to the tuition (we provide accommodations and local transportation on these trips).
3. Entry Requirements:
- • A four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or a four-year international equivalent. And
- • Some professional work experience defined broadly that can serve as a foundation for the field of sustainability. Some design experience or training is useful but not required as this is an interdisciplinary program. And
- • An official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. A score of 140 on the verbal section is considered a minimum by the Graduate Council. And
- • A statement of purpose for enrolling in the program (about 2 pages double spaced) specifically addressing applicant’s qualifications, research interest to pursue for the thesis and other relevant information. And
- • Three letters of recommendation from people qualified to assess your academic performance or professional experience.
- • TOEFL IBT 80, or
- • IELTS 6, or
- • MELAB 77
4. Total Course Duration/Instruction Hours:
• Full Time: 12 Months/360 hours, 5 sessions per week x 3 hours
• Part Time: 12 Months/360 hours, 5 sessions per week x 2 hours
5. Mode of Delivery, Class Size and Intake::
• Delivery: Online classes, Lectures and Tutorials
• strong>Intake: May of each year
6. Course Fees::
- • Please click here to find out the relevant fee details.
- • Please follow your signed student contract to make the relevant payment.
- • Students and parents shall transfer the course fees directly to ACE bank account or make the payment to ACE finance department.
- • Students and parents shall pay attention to the risk of paying course fees through recruitment agents or other third parties.
7. Course Synopses and Module Syllabus:
Please write to us to get the Synopses and Syllabus for the modules.
1. Ecological Issues in Sustainability 1
2. Ecological Issues in Sustainability 2
3. Greening Existing Buildings
4. International Construction Management
5. International Sustainable Development
6. Introduction to Sustainability Research
7. Masters Research Project
8. Planning and Design Studio in Sustainability
9. Research Project Development
10. Sustainable Design Issues and Methods
11. Sustainable Design Problem Solving
12. Sustainable Urbanism
13. Technology Methods
8. Graduation Requirement
• Pass 10 modules (total 36 credits)
9. Assessment Methods:
• Assignment (Homework, Quizzes, Group work & etc)
• Mid-Term Examination
• Final Examination
Please refer to this page for the relevant lecturers being assigned to the relevant modules.
If you need any extra information about this course, please click here to write to ACE course consultants.